If you look back on my Instagram feed, you’ll find a sneak peek of this blouse in progress way back in June 2017. Well it’s changed a bit since then!
The blouse was never finished because I always felt something was not-quite-right, and after deliberating on it for a year (good things take time!) the problem became clear – that I needed to do some unpicking! Funny how that can hold up the creative process 🙂
A quick history – I first designed this blouse at work a few seasons ago, and always wanted to make one for myself. I thought I’d make it more wearable/work friendly by lining the lower half of the body so it wasn’t as see through. That didn’t work!
Sometimes when you line things it takes away from the original appeal, and part of the appeal about this blouse is the delicacy of the chiffon. By lining it, it suddenly looked like a big black blob, rather than this beautiful airy wisp of varying textures and opacities.
So I put my quick-unpick to work. For some reason unpicking never takes as long as the decision to unpick!
When I made this pattern I thought the sleeve was quite voluminous at the time, but it is nothing compared to sleeves nowadays! Still pretty though.
I also added pintucks to the back yoke, something I wanted to do in the original design, but omitted. We often need to cut back on some design details to save production time or else the cost of the garment will become too expensive. It can be frustrating because I like all the details!
The back view looks a bit messy with this camisole underneath. I plan on making one with a higher cut back neckline to match the design lines of the blouse better. Or maybe not – don’t hold your breath!
Rather than fusing the cuff I used a double layer of chiffon. This is a great method when you don’t have the correct fusible on hand (like me) but I do prefer to apply fusible interfacing. In my opinion it is much easier to sew and I get a neater result. I love the fusible I used for this shirt, which is specially designed for chiffon (it is B200 from Hawes and Freer).
The buttons were from my collection. I decided to use these flower ones up on this blouse as they kind of work, and I can’t imagine where else I would ever use them!
The main fabric is 100% cupro chiffon from my stash. The lace is a cotton embroidery on nylon net and was literally scraps from work that were destined for the bin – I just can’t throw anything with the slightest potential out!
So glad I finally finished this blouse as it has been on endless rotation this winter. I think an ivory one would be rather cool too – what do you think?
Maybe next year!
14 thoughts on “Victorian Blouse”
Cool blouse! I agree, the decision to unpick can take a while…sometimes it takes me several seasons to get back to a garment. I think you have done well to get to this only a year later!! I love the pin tuck detail in the back…and it makes this blouse uniquely yours!
What a beautiful blouse. The ivory would no doubt be nice but I don’t think it would be as dramatic as the black. Lovely work.
Beautiful, I think ivory would be lovely too.
I LOVE the mix of textures!! And those pintucks are beautiful in the chiffon!
YES to an ivory version!
Another stunning blouse! So many interesting features – all those tucks, textures, cuffs – so beautiful like a rare exotic bird that you might catch a glimpse of in the forest. I think in ivory or any pastel the design lines would pop out much more. Black is mysterious and pushes the observer to discover the lines for themselves but a lighter colour would showcase them. It’s so beautiful – well worth the return after giving it time to percolate.
I *LOVE* this. Love it. The tucks, the lace, the sheer, all of it. Did I mention I love the tucks? That is such a pretty feature. And the black is gorgeous, but I want a royal blue one. 😉
Oh I love the details on this so much!!! I am such a sucker for lace & sheer all pieces together. 😂 the ivory concept looks great too!
Gorgeous blouse. It reminds me of the Scottish School aesthetic. The pintucks really complete it. You were right to add them on your version.
I just saw a comment you loft on my blog ages ago asking about the dyes I use for bra-making. Sorry I never answered you at the time. I use the acid dyes from Dharma trading. (https://www.dharmatrading.com/dyes/dharma-acid-dyes.html). I love them…it is only the shipping cost that keeps my from ordering all their colours!
Stunning, I would love to see this is red or green!
Gorgeous blouse and well worth the time to get it right and an Ivory one is a must.
Nicce post thanks for sharing