I’ve finished my green dress, and I’m really pleased with the result:
I haven’t pressed it at all since wearing it to the wedding, so considering this fabric is a very-easily-creased silk/viscose, I’m impressed – it just shows you the value of interlining!
The fabric was a bit lighter than my green shoes, so I underlined it with black to darken it slightly. I kept the tucks independent from the underlining to keep the look of chiffon. I actually pressed them flat on the underlining and lining, as they were a bit puffy in that fabric and it affected the hang of the chiffon tucks.
The 2 layers were treated as one at the neck and armhole edges, centre back seam, waistline, and hem. The rest of the chiffon was french seamed, including the darts.
Before attaching the skirt, I placed the bodice on the mannequin to check the 2 bodice layers matched exacly at the lower edge, and also repeated this for the skirt before hemming. I prickstitched by hand the 2 hem layers together at 3.5cm, and turned the hem at 4cm and stitched it to the underlining for an invisible hem.
Rather than the binding method that Burda proposed, I made a conjoint neck and armhole facing to finish these edges, to which the lining was attached.