Remember a couple of posts back I was trying to decide what to sew for the Vintage Sewalong 2011? Well I’ve finally decided – it’s the ‘safe’ option, and also the Quick n’ Easy option! Here it is again – Butterick 2669 – the basic sixties shift dress:
I’m going to make it in some dark grey linen that I acquired at Christmastime, and do red topstitching just like the picture of View B on the pattern envelope. I presumed the topstitching was done by machine, but it is actually hand sewn saddle stitch using embroidery floss, so I might copy that idea too.
I chose this pattern because:
- Both the pattern and fabric are stash so I don’t have to spend a cent!
- I really need more summer work clothes and this will be perfect
- I’ve always wanted to see how a french dart that goes down to high hip level fits
- It gives me the perfect excuse to buy some red shoes (the real reason he he!)
But now I’ve made my decision, I have a little predicament:
I could shorten the dress, but I don’t like showing my knobbly knees. So a little creative thinking was required, and ding-ding-ding:
And I think I prefer this anyway. Although I like the simplicity of the original, I think the extra saddle stitching adds a bit of balance. I’m not generally a fan of placing design details only on the front and leaving the back plain – it often looks like cost-cutting and design compromise to me.
I want this dress to be hand-washable, so I’ve put the linen through the washing machine on a warm machine wash to take care of any shrinkage. First I overlocked the ends of the linen, because we all know how much that frays, and I need more fabric not less! Because linen can stretch slightly and ‘seat’, I am going to line the dress with viscose lining, also preshrunk.
OK – now I’m off to cut my toile and whizz it up on the machine!
And if you haven’t joined up for the Vintage Sewalong 2011 yet, it’s not too late:
|Just click here!|