Yay – finished!
This is such a nice pattern – I really love the pocket flaps and the button front, and the high waist is so flattering – even though I am quite short-waisted.
I might start doing sit-ups though – I have to hold my tummy in (see the strain on my face!) to stop it creasing across the front. This is not a going-out-to-dinner skirt!
I used a charcoal wool/elastane twill, one of my many end-of-roll fabrics that I’ve had stashed away, and it is lined with black viscose bemberg lining. And I had some matching buttons too! (That was a bit of the devil in disguise though as I have an industrial machine that does not do buttonholes, but I have my Mum’s old Elna which
does, but doesn’t and that’s another blog post!)
I did a few modifications – I cut the facing the same length as the yoke, and blockfused both. On the lining I pressed the seams to one side and stitched them down to form boning channels, and inserted 6mm boning in all the seams.
I had to insert a false hem – I could only get 58cm length out of my small piece of fabric, and I like my skirts 60cm, so I cut a bias strip of lining and sewed it to the hem then stitched it up as per normal.
I was a bit worried about the lack of a CB vent, but I faithfully trusted Burda and the elastane component in my fabric, and sure enough it is fine – and I don’t plan on running in this skirt! For the lining I added an extra 8cm evenly around the hem of the skirt for walking ease.
So if you’re looking for something high-waisted – you won’t go wrong with this skirt pattern, and there is another option with a CB zip if you prefer. I’m considering another one for summer in a bright with contrasting white buttons!