If you read my last post you will already have seen a glimpse of my vintage teal mohair fabric. I salvaged it from a 1950’s coat that had the sleeves and collar missing, but the front and back panels were just large enough to squeeze this 60’s jacket pattern from:
I love to create something from things that would otherwise be useless – I think that is the bit I like best about projects like this! There was a bit of creative laying out to get everything cut, and the fabric pile didn’t help matters, but I managed to cut all pieces with a few compromises.
I had to add a CB seam on the back and the collar, and cut the undercollar on the bias instead of the straight grain. I added a sneaky patch to the front facings:
and a compulsory cuff:
There are a few places where seam allowances and hems have to err, pretend that they are there:
I’m using the inside of the coat as the right side of my jacket. Due to wear and tear the mohair was extra fluffy in areas, as you can see in some of the photos! Here’s my progress so far:
Front darts – because of the thickness of the fabric I slashed and pressed them open to reduce bulk:
The front interfacing is secured to the front:
and the collar interfacing to the under collar:
I’ve pinked all the seams, and will catchstitch them down so they lay flat permanently. That sounds like a lot of work, but catchstitching on this chunky fabric is quick and fun!
I found these two vintage buttons in my stash that match perfectly:
But unfortunately I need four! I would have loved to have used them as they originated from my mother’s button box – I even asked her to check for some more, but no such luck. Whatever buttons I do get they need to be 40mm – because I’ve already started the buttonholes!
Wish me luck!