I’m going through an “I like nautical” phase at the moment, and when I spotted the roll of striped grosgrain that I hadn’t yet put away, lying atop some recently acquired red linen, the idea for a new skirt was born. Sometimes being untidy is good!!
We nipped down to Westhaven marina for some shots yesterday evening. DH took the photos this time – look at
my hair, the wind, the electricity between us!
On the left you can just see the Auckland harbour bridge, which locals have nicknamed the coathanger because of its shape. On the right you can see Rangitoto Island which is one of our many volcanoes dotted around about the city.
This is probably the best photo of the actual skirt (and my hair!) behaving:
This skirt has two outward facing pressed pleats either side of the CF and CB that are stitched to just above the hipline. It is easy to draft from a basic skirt block – you just add the pleat allowance and incorporate the darts into the pleats. I shaped the front waistband and gave it a centre notch for a bit of interest:
The pleats and the waistband are both topstitched at 6mm with 120weight thread. I got a bit carried away and did a bound buttonhole – I only did that because my machine doesn’t do buttonholes, and I couldn’t wait until Monday! It does look nice though, and was easy to do in the linen. I machined the hem and sewed the grosgrain over the stitching to hide it:
Look at these lucky guys getting ready to sail off for the weekend. We’re staying at home to work on the house – paint removal is not fun. Don’t be surprised if I choose to sew instead!