|Well, the comfortable bit is certainly correct!|
My pattern is a size B34/W26/H36, and I am size B35/W29/H39, so I graded it in width accordingly – +1,+3,+3. It appears the original may have fitted me after all with only a bit extra in the hip- was vanity sizing prevalent even back then!? I realise it is meant to be a easy-fitting shift, but it is rather huge don’t you think?
Apart from overall excess width, the bust apex is 1″ off to the side of mine, although it is at the correct level. The armhole seems quite wide-set and the front neckline a little high. I have trimmed the seam allowances off the neckline and armhole so we are looking at the finished edges:
I have the same shoulder-to-bust drag line that was on my Coal-Miner’s Daughter Dress. I think the shoulder is the cause as I have square shoulders as well as quasimodo shoulders. That’s a new term I just made up for my own shoulder which has a bump in it. If you have studied shoulder anatomy then it might make more sense if I tell you my coracoid process of the scapula sticks out anteriorly! Although Steph suggested an FBA so I’ll look at that if shoulder adjustments don’t work – I am a ‘B’ but I could be a bit prominent in the chest.
There is a sway back adjustment to be made – see how the side seam swings forward from waist level, and the CB hem is lower than the front (not really evident in side view, more evident in back view). The forward side seams are causing the front skirt to flare slightly. This is a classic swayback appearance in loose clothing as mentioned in my swayback analysis, so I’m pleased to have a photo as an example now.
Plus this is so long I could probably abandon the hem band if I wanted, but I think I like it so much that is here to stay. Back to the drawing board…