I’ve finally finished the twist dress!
It has been sitting on the mannequin, conveniently concealed by my partially made trenchcoat, ever since I did this
Mmm. Moving right along…
All I had to complete was the zip, armhole facings and hem, so really it was finished in no time. I tend procrastinate on projects that aren’t going as planned, and sometimes I just have to say to myself “finish it now, or else!”.
The pattern is Butterick 4598 and cost only 70c in it’s day – I don’t think you can even buy a packet of chewing gum for 70c now! I couldn’t find the exact year of issue for this pattern so if anyone does know, please share!
It is a straight shift dress with square armholes, a keyhole front with button tab, and pockets in the side front seam. The front yoke is cut in one with the back panel, so it ends up on the bias which is probably quite nice if you are using a check/plaid fabric, but not so good for getting a nice square tab – it changes shape every time I look at it:
I used some lightweight 100% wool twill in an inky colour, an end piece leftover from some menswear-styled trousers that we ran. I just had enough yardage to squeeze out this dress and had to cut around a couple of mystery holes in the cloth! I also found a relatively unremarkable solo button from my stash that happens to be the right size and colour, so took the opportunity to use it up.
A couple of pattern quirks:
- Despite being above the knee in the illustration, this dress ends at my knee, and I am average height at 5’6″. I cut it longer with the intention of it being knee-length, and didn’t need to.
- The front is eased onto the yoke which is very weird to me – I see no reason for it because the bust dart is adequate. The easing onto the bias area is slightly rippled despite a good steaming, and I would eliminate it if I made this again.
- I would recommend redrafting the armhole facing in one with the neck and keyhole facing to neaten the inside. If only I had enough cloth!
By the way that is not the door to our house, that is the door to our garden shed. I am supposed to strip it and paint it one day, but for now I am
sewing loving it’s authenticity.
I didn’t bother toiling this pattern, so was a little concerned how the boxy look would suit me. I quite like how it just skims my hips and hides my (non)waist. At a size 34″ it is a fraction small but wearable as long as I don’t slouch!. I really should have done a sway back adjustment, and the bust dart sits a bit high in the photos so I better wear another style bra I wear with this – the one I have on has major padding going on below the bust.
Overall I quite like it – and I know I won’t be able to keep my hands out of those pockets!