Well I’ve finished my 1970’s midi jumpsuit, and I quite like it!
I don’t think it will be my “go to” outfit, but reserved for those days when I feel like being a bit quirky. I have to say I would not have made this had I not been captivated by the brown tweed version on the envelope,with it’s 60’s/70’s polo neck and boots styling – I can’t think of any other way I would wear this. Polo necks and boots are a bit of a winter uniform with me, and therefore are the perfect (and secure) base for something a bit different!
I fully lined the jumpsuit. I used the original pattern pieces less the armhole facings, plus 3mm extra on each seam allowance and 25mm added to the crotch length. It slips on easily and is so comfortable to wear.
- back neckline was bunching up, so I lowered it 5mm tapering to zero at the shoulder point.
- front armhole was gaping, so I swung the excess into the side bust dart.
- totally redrafted the pant portion! Finally I have got around to redrafting and fitting a trouser block, and I have transferred this to the pattern. Essentially the high hip is wider, the rise is way longer, and the leg angle is altered.
The thing with jumpsuits is you need some extra length in the centre seam for everyday things like reaching up, bending over and sitting down – you need to allow an extra 2cm in the waist to hip/crotch length to enable comfortable jumping around in your jumpsuit!
I’m reasonably happy with the back appearance. I’m not really standing evenly here, but the below the hipline it does sit better when I shorten the back waist by 1 cm, however I need that extra ease for bending so I’ve compromised. Plus looking backwards into the mirror gives me a tension headache after a while!